The Emerging Leaders Internship Program for College Students with Disabilities is a highly competitive program that places top undergraduate and graduate college students with disabilities in fulfilling internships nationwide. The program is a promising practice for teaching others about the abilities of those with disabilities while providing opportunities for students with disabilities to gain real-world work experiences, according to the University of Washington, Seattle’s DO-IT program.
The Emerging Leaders program provides employers access to highly qualified, motivated interns with proven track records of scholastic achievement, leadership abilities, and a demonstrated desire to achieve and excel. It gives students meaningful leadership development and networking opportunities.
Potential interns in this program:
- Come from well-recognized colleges and universities across the country.
- Represent a bright, diverse, and growing future talent pool.
- Are referred to businesses through a screening process that helps ensure that the internship placement is a good fit for both parties.
The National Business & Disability Council: a Membership Organization
The Emerging Leaders Internship Program for College Students with Disabilities is offered through the National Business & Disability Council (NBDC) at The Viscardi Center. NBDC is a membership organization with comprehensive resources for disability inclusion. They support employers looking for qualified and diverse candidates with disabilities by providing programming, resources, and services that move them from awareness to closing the employment gap.
Membership provides employer partners with these benefits:
- Recruitment of highly qualified, motivated interns with proven track records of scholastic achievement, leadership abilities, and a demonstrated desire to achieve and excel
- Access to a talent pool of potential employees ready to contribute to your organization’s success
- Ongoing support to ensure a successful experience for you and your Emerging Leader interns.
- Opportunity to strengthen your company’s diversity commitment
Learn How to Participate
To learn more about how employers can participate in the Emerging Leaders Internship Program for College Students with Disabilities:
- Visit the National Business & Disability Council at The Viscardi Center
- Contact Christina Eisenberg at email@example.com or call (516) 465-1587.