A Quick Look
The study examined whether functional limitations significantly correlated with job loss worry during COVID-19. Researchers examined three factors regarding employees with disabilities: namely demographic factors, COVID-19 stress, and functional limitations.
- Demographic factors were not significantly associated with job loss worry.
- Both COVID-19 and function limitations were significantly correlated with job loss worry.
- Functional limitations restricted healthcare, transportation, delivery of food, medications, and personal care support.
- Requesting on-the-job accommodations while telecommuting was reported to further increase job-loss related worry.
- Only 39% of employees with disabilities disclose their disability to their managers.
- Just 21% of the same population discloses to human resources teams.
- Employees who disclose their disability at work are more than twice as likely to feel happy and content at work.
- Workers who disclose their disabilities are less likely to regularly feel nervous, anxious, or isolated.
Putting It Into Practice
Employers should pay attention to a number of aspects of post-pandemic living to revitalize their employees, both with and without disabilities, and the global workforce as a whole.
- Understand how COVID-19 impacts transportation, medical care, and food security for employees with functional limitations.
- Both the employer and the employees should take advantage of telecommuting capabilities long after the pandemic is over.
- Telecommuting provides a safer work environment and social engagement alternative for everyone, but especially for employees with disabilities and chronic conditions.
Source: Umucu, E. (2021, January 29). Functional limitations and worry to lose employment among individuals with chronic conditions and disabilities during covid-19: A hierarchical logistic regression model. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 54, 25-32.
Contact a Vocational Rehabilitation Technical Assistance Center for Quality Employment expert at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Summary: Functional Limitations and Worrying to Lose Employment Among Individuals with Chronic Conditions and Disabilities During COVID-19 (word)