Veterans are one of the focus populations for the Technical Assistance Center for Quality Employment project. The goal is to provide vocational rehabilitation counselors with education, information, and strategies to foster successful job seeking skills and help consumers achieve competitive, integrated employment.
This Outreach Guide brings together various training, tools, and resources you can use to serve Veterans with disabilities in achieving their employment goals.
Recommended Resources from TACQE and Partners
Here are a variety of resources to inform your practice:
- On-Demand Webinar: Vocational Rehabilitation Services for Veterans with Disabilities – TACQE U
- Serving Veterans with Mental Health Issues Webinar – from Project E3
Tools and Resources
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services for Veterans with Disabilities – Factsheet
- A Roadmap for Rehabilitation Counseling to Serve Military Veterans with Disabilities
- Framework for Co-Serving Veterans of Color with Disabilities
- Vocational Rehabilitation Experiences Among Veterans with Polytrauma or Traumatic Brain Injury History
- VA Vocational and Education Training and Assistance Services: What do Veterans Think?
Other Related Resources
Veteran Readiness and Employment Program at the VA
The tradition of helping veterans with disabilities continues with the Veteran Readiness and Employment program through the department of Veterans Affairs. Formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, this program offers five different tracks for veterans who are returning to work after their service. These tracks include:
- Reemployment at their pre-service workplace at their pre-service workplace
- Accelerated job matching using their existing skills
- Starting a business
- Professional training in a different field
- Independent living programs for veterans who need time to transition back into civilian work
Honoring Veteran Service with Employment Resources
Along with the services and training above, there are many programs and organizations for helping veterans find and keep jobs. These links are courtesy of the Veterans Administration:
- The Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS) proudly prepares America’s veterans, service members, and their spouses for meaningful careers, provide them with employment resources and expertise, protect their employment rights, and promotes their employment opportunities.
- VE PO Veteran Employment Program Office provides employment readiness assistance and outreach to transitioning service members, Veterans, and eligible military spouses while advocating the use of special hiring authorities, employment programs, and Veteran retention strategies to help VA become the employer of choice for Veterans and military spouses.
- The Veterans Opportunity to Work Program prepares veterans for their next mission by accessing services they may have earned under the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) program and other VA training and career assistance programs.
- Hire Heroes USA Employment assistance is the #1 requested service from transitioning military members, and Hire Heroes USA provides that service to thousands each year.
- My Next Move for Veterans helps veterans navigate opportunities, train up for chosen careers, identify various jobs and resources to get them, or return to a previous place of employment.